Thursday, April 12, 2007

(fanning face)...I got my own self hot tellin' that story.


Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN

This movie blew me away with an awesome wave of greatness. I love, love, loved this film.
I don't know where to start with praising this movie. What a breath of fresh, Mexican beach air. I want to poke myself in the eye for not seeing this one sooner. It was just so good.

I guess you could say this was a coming of age film. One of the best ones I've seen since like, I dunno, Reality Bites. The movie starts out with Two boys in two different scenes. In both scenes they are having good-bye sex with their girlfriends who are about to leave on a trip together to Italy. Both boys making their girlfriends promise not to sleep with other guys when they are away. Julio (Gael Garcia Bernal) and Tenoch (Diego Luna) are then left to make their own holiday plans. At a wedding, they encounter Luisa- the spanish wife of Tenoch's cousin Alejandro. Alejandro was a bit of a dickweed while Luisa stirred their sexual curiosity. They talk to her at the wedding. She mentions she wants to see the beaches. Hoping to impress her, they invent a beautiful,mystical, secret beach called "Heaven's Mouth" on the Oaxaca coast and that they could take her there. At first she politely declines but then after her husband, Alejandro confessed his infidelity to her, she changes her mind and calls the boys to see if their invitation was still open to her as she would like to go with them. This is now a problem for the boys because they do not know a place like they described to her so they desperately call a friend to help them, who maps out hazy directions for them.

During the rest of the movie, the three of them set on for a road trip to try to find this beach. There is a sexual energy throughout this film that can be drawn from anywhere. The capricious youth of the two boys and their close, brotherly connection, the vulnerability of Luisa, the warm sandy Mexican summer illustrated so well you can almost feel it here in my cold, midwestern apartment. It felt like everything in this film had a certain indescribable sensual vibe that was so strong in some scenes, you couldn't help but think of the word 'Threesome' before the characters did. A part of you is just waiting for it to happen. Or I don't know, maybe its just me because soy pervertido and she is on vacation with two beautiful, lively, libidinous young mexicanos. What else is supposed to cross your mind?

I won't spoil the rest of the movie with what happens but I will say what did happen was done beautifully. Flawlessly acted, all natural, beautiful scene after beautiful scene. After the movie was over, I was like "Welp...grab your keys, we're going to Mexico!"

No comments: