Monday, April 2, 2007

I'm in love - I'm all shook up


THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY

This movie deserves an Oscar. After winning the Palme d'Or, this movie has circulated quite a lot of buzz around the world. I was already excited and in line to see this movie when I heard of Cillian Murphy was playing the role of Damien in this film but then everyone started raving about it in reviews and giving it lots of praise. There was a few snarly claims that this film is "Anti-British" but it seems like it soon died down after Ken Loach and Cillian blew them away in press conference Q&As with their brilliant sense. The more I read about this film, the more I desperately wanted to see it. Unfortunately, I do not live in LA or NY so because of this film's limited release, we Midwest folks were pretty fucked on this one. Or were we? On my quest to see this movie, I have discovered the awesome presence of God as well. Just as I was in a state of panic and despair that I might never see this movie before it gets released on DVD, God showed me the way. He said "Elisa, despite its limited release, you shall see this movie now. " And then, there was IFC In Theatres ON-DEMAND on my comcast cable box. A brand new thing, started in March, that shows limited released arty, independent films that deserve to be viewed by everyone. They have it available on demand for 6 bucks on this IFC joint as a way to gauge how much interest it gets from the rest of the country at the same time it is playing in limited theatres. If there is enough people like me with cable and a burning desire to see this movie, it just may get a wide release.

So, I did my part and paid the 6 bucks for the On-Demand viewing from the comfort of my couch. I was so happy to finally see this fantastical production, I called my whole family over and we made a big dinner, baked cookies and watched the movie party-style.

Let me say, it was everything that I expected it would be but BETTER. I loved this film. Love...is not a big enough word for how impressed I am by this film. I have to say I Lurve this film. I Loaved it. I Luffed it. Two Fs. I don't even know what to say. It was so powerful and brilliant, I was totally blown away. I felt like the barley and this movie was the wind and it shook me all night long with its brilliance and impact. It was probably the greatest and most brilliant Cillian Murphy performance I've ever seen. I had to strain to hold back tears at the end so I didn't cry in front of my family like I was Sundance Head on American Idol (whenever someone got voted off before him). I really hope this film get a wider release (if it does, I'm there with another 6 bucks and that time, I'll weep jumbo Sundance tears and watch other people try not to cry at the saddest Cillian scene in the world) and I really really hope this movie gets Oscar attention next year. If it doesn't, I'm going to have to hate the Oscars and send them a letter saying that they suck and don't know shit about movies.

No comments: